Basic Quality Improvement Tools
If you are looking for quality improvement tools to implement in your practice, the following are useful places to start.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ): Offers ready-to-use tools to measure and improve the quality of the healthcare you provide.
- AHRQ's Patient Safety Network: Read about current patient safety news.
- American Medical Association: For safety, advocacy, measurement and education information and tools.
- The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI): Provides resources, improvement stories, and downloadable tools to use in your practice.
- National Academies Press: This site offers the Institute of Medicine (IOM) reports on patient safety both for sale and to read free on-line.
- National Center for Patient Safety (NCPS): Part of the Veterans Affairs (VA) health system. NCPS provides miscellaneous patient safety resources.
- ECRI Medical Device Safety Alerts: A nonprofit health services research agency that provides free access to reports on medical devices that have failed to operate properly or are misused in ways that have caused injuries and deaths.
- Healthcare Improvement Skills Center (HISC): Supports healthcare professionals attempting to make systematic improvements in the quality of the healthcare they provide to their patients.