The Bulletin (ISSN 0731-8359) is published monthly by the American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery and reaches more than 12,000 otolaryngologist— head and neck surgeons and allied health professionals.
The Bulletin features timely articles written by member otolaryngologists and Academy staff, as well as regular segments on advocacy, education, grassroots activity, practice management, research, humanitarian outreach, and the latest specialty news and information. The AAO-HNS Bulletin hopes to meet the goal of the association’s strategic business plan of leveraging internal and external relationships.
Yearly subscription is included in dues of AAO-HNS members: $27 U.S., $52 International. Nonmember subscription: $55 U.S., $65 International, ($25 for allied health personnel).
The AAO-HNS Bulletin publishes news and opinion articles from contributing authors as a service to our readers. The views expressed in these articles are solely those of the individual and may or may not be shared by the AAO-HNS.
Few articles published in the Bulletin are unsolicited. However, we invite article submissions from our members and outside contributors who have an interest in the field of otolaryngology—head and neck surgery, or who may provide a service to physicians and/or patients (see following instructions).
Email articles and/or questions
Editorial Review Process
The author will be notified when an article is received. All articles and graphics submitted for publication are then subject to an editorial review. Upon completion of this review, the author will be notified if the article will be published and in which issue, or if the article was declined and why.
It is the author’s responsibility to make sure that all information in the article is accurate and that proper credit is given when due.
The editor reserves the right to make additional changes to the article even after the author has given permission to publish it.
Articles may be submitted for the following Bulletin Sections:
- Letters to the Editor
- Academy News
- Regulatory Advocacy & Business of Medicine
- Legislative & Political Advocacy
- Our Community
Letters to the Editor:
One page, maximum of 850 words. All others: Articles without graphics The word count is 850 words for a one-page article and 1,450 words for a two-page article.
* This includes the title, description/abstract of the article, subhead(s) to introduce the section(s), body of the text, and the author’s name, title, and location. If the article is a reprint from another publica-tion, permission must be obtained prior to submitting it to the Bulletin. Please provide us with the publishing approval documentation. *The word count should be reduced by 200 words if one graphic is used and reduced by 350 words if two graphics are used.
Each month we write and publish a cover story based on page 1). Ideas for the cover story are generated months in Authors wishing to be made aware of the monthly topics, should contact staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cover story guidelines
- Page lengths are between four to five pages
- A maximum of 2,500 words (reduce by 400 words if submitting with graphics)
- For photos/graphics, read next section.
Use of photos/graphics
We encourage the use of photos/graphics and request that authors send head shots of themselves with their article. All photos submitted will be reviewed for printability and suitability for the article. Photos must be at least 300 dpi for good print quality; we cannot use any photo taken from the web. The AAO-HNS prefers that all original photos be mailed to the AAO-HNS, Attn: Bulletin, 1650 Diagonal Road, Alexandria, VA 22314-2857.
- Color is preferred, but black and white is accepted
- Captions should accompany all photos
- photo courtesy of…, you must obtain reprint permission prior to sending with article
- identify people in the photo (if known)
- provide detail of photo such as location and activity performed, etc…
- Scanned photos should be at least 300 dpi (if emailed)
- Photos will be returned only upon request.