Clinical Practice Guideline: Hoarseness (Dysphonia)
Leadership: Seth R. Schwartz, MD, MPH (Chair), Seth M. Cohen, MD, MPH (Assistant Chair), Seth H. Dailey, MD (Assistant Chair), Richard M. Rosenfeld, MD, MPH (Methodologist)
Guideline Development Group: Ellen S. Deutsch, MD, M. Boyd Gillespie, MD, Evelyn Granieri, MD, MPH, Med, Edie R. Hapner, PhD, C. Eve Kimball, MD, Helene J. Krouse, PhD, RN, ANP-BC, J. Scott McMurray, MD, Safdar Medina, MD, Karen O'Brien, MD, Daniel R. Ouellette, MD, Barbara J. Messinger-Rapport, MD, PhD, Robert J. Stachler, MD, Steven Strode, MD, MEd, MPH, Dana M. Thompson, MD, Joseph C. Stemple, PhD, J. Paul Willging, MD, Terrie Cowley, Scott McCoy, DMA, Peter G. Bernad, MD, MPH,
The guideline was published as a supplement in the September 2009 issue of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery.
The primary purpose of this guideline is to improve diagnostic accuracy for hoarseness (dysphonia), reduce inappropriate antibiotic use, reduce inappropriate steroid use, reduce inappropriate use of anti-reflux medications, reduce inappropriate use of radio-graphic imaging, and promote appropriate use of laryngoscopy, voice therapy, and surgery.
American Academy of Neurology (AAN) - Affirmation of Value April 2012
American Academy of Family Physicians June 2010
Society of Otorhinolaryngology and Head Neck Nurses, Inc. Oct 2011
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Nov 2011
- Published Guideline
- Research Gaps
- Articles of Interest
- Prevalence and Causes of Dysphonia in a Large-Treatment Seeking Population
- The impact of laryngeal disorders on work-related dysfunction
- Direct health care costs of laryngeal diseases and disorders
- Factors Influencing the Healthcare Expenditures of Patients with Laryngeal Disorders
- Assessing factors related to the pharmacologic management of laryngeal diseases and disorders
- Prescribing patterns of primary care physicians and otolaryngologists in the management of laryngeal disorders
- Delayed Otolaryngology Referral for Voice Disorders Increases Health Care Costs
- Slide set available: contact Leslie Caspersen firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
For Media & Public
Access the guidelines via the National Guidelines Clearinghouse.