The Distinguished Award for Humanitarian Service recognizes an Academy member who is widely known for a consistent, stable character distinguished by honesty, zeal for truth, integrity, love and devotion to humanity and a self-giving spirit. The awardee is an outstanding example and model to emulate for a life dedicated to a nobler, more righteous, and more productive way for the human to live as an individual on this earth. The awardee is well known for professional excellence and has demonstrated professional dedication by the giving of professional skills freely, and without desire for personal gain or aggrandizement, to those in this world who cannot otherwise, physically and financially, receive them. The President presents this award during the Annual Meeting Opening Ceremony.
2016 Distinguished Award for Humanitarian Service Recipient: Wayne M. Koch, MD
Wayne M. Koch, MD, embodies all of the credentials celebrated by this award.
In his career, Dr. Koch has gone on as many as 25 medical missions to various countries around the world, including 13 trips to Mbingo Baptist Hospital in Cameroon where Dr. Koch has worked to create and support a training program for African surgeons. Working in partnership with the Pan African Academy of Christian Surgeons (PAACS), Dr. Koch is able to facilitate a head and neck cancer fellowship for African surgery residents committed to remaining in Africa and imparting their skills in local hospitals. Furthermore, Dr. Koch has set up a rotation of cancer specialists to visit and participate in the training curriculum. This program has and will continue to fundamentally shift the cancer care for African nations and regions.
Despite having these successes, Dr. Koch has a self-effacing demeanor and high-minded spirit that belies his accomplishments. As such, he epitomizes all that the American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery Foundation Distinguished Award for Humanitarian Services represents.
- 2015: H. Dennis Snyder, MD, FACS
- 2014: John Thomas Roland, Jr., MD, FACS
- 2013: James E. Saunders, MD
- 2012: John M. Hodges, MD, FACS
- 2011: Anna H. Messner, MD
- 2010: Peter S. Roland, MD
- 2009: Richard Wagner, MD
- 2008: James D. Smith, MD
- 2007: Drew M. Horlbeck, MD
- 2006: Craig P. Hedges, MD
- 2005: Brent A. Senior, MD
- 2004: James L. Netterville, MD
- 2003: Byron James Bailey Jr., MD
- 2002: David S. Parsons, MD
- 2001: Michael J. McGee, MD
- 2000: Sylvan E. Stool, MD
- 1999: Juan J. Garro, MD
- 1998: Daniel M. Martinez, MD
- 1997: No award
- 1996: Salyaveth Lekagul, MD and Soontorn Antarasena, MD
- 1995: Hans von Leden, MD
- 1994: Jack V. D. Hough, MD
- 1993: Samuel O. Massey Jr., MD
- 1992: M. Coyle Shea Jr., MD
- 1991: M. C. Culbertson Jr. MD
- 1990: Col. Joan Zajtchuk, MD