As mandated by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the 9th revision of the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and related health problems (ICD-9) must be updated to the 10th revision (ICD-10). The required deadline for the transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10 is currently in effect as of October 1, 2015.
Below are some Academy developed and external resources to assist you with preparing for this important transition.
New and Revised ICD-10 Codes in Effect
CMS has released new and revised 2017 ICD-10-CM codes for discharges and patient encounters occurring from October 1, 2016, through September 30, 2017. ENT-related code changes address: neoplasms and diseases of the eye, adnexa, ear, mastoid process and respiratory system.
- Instructions on how to download and access the new codes (if working on Google Chrome Browser):
- Click here.
- Select 2017 Addendum [ZIP, 1MB] link (fourth item down on website) to download
- Right click on download and select 'Show in folder'
- Select the file labeled 'icd10cm_tabular_addenda_2017-508'
- This file contains all the new codes and revisions made to the ICD-10 list that is broken down into 21 chapters. You may find the following chapters helpful:
- Chapter 2 – Neoplasms
- Chapter 7 – Diseases of the Eye and Adnexa
- Chapter 8 – Diseases of the ear and Mastoid Process
- Chapter 10 – Diseases of the Respiratory System
- Select 2017 Code Descriptions in Tabular Order link (first item on the website) to download for the full list of all codes, both original and new codes
CMS Releases Next Steps ICD-10 Toolkit
To continue supporting providers with the ICD-10 transition, CMS has released a new provider toolkit. The Next Steps Toolkit includes information designed to help you assess your progress, address any negative assessment results, and maintain your progress. CMS has also released a helpful infographic to accompany the toolkit.
5 Ways to Navigate ICD-10
1. ICD-10 FAQs
The Health Policy Team continues to alert members with new information regarding ICD-10. In order to respond to member inquiries and to assist members with the ICD-10 transition, the following FAQs were developed:
2. The Academy's Sample ICD-10 ENT Superbills
View the updated sample ICD-10 superbill with over 120 additional ICD-10 codes relevant to otolaryngology and a new additional version with ICD-10 codes listed by anatomic/disease area.
3. The Academy's ICD-9 to ICD-10 Crosswalk Chart
Consult this easy reference guide that lists commonly used ENT ICD-9-CM codes with their ICD-10-CM counterparts.
4. The CMS Lookup Tool
Bookmark this tool that allows you to keyword search for the appropriate ICD-10 code.
5. Stay Up-to-Date with the HP Update and The News
Your member benefits include subscriptions to the monthly HP Update and weekly The News newsletters that offer the latest information about ICD-10 changes. Keep an eye on your inbox and take advantage of these updates.