The Senior Manager, Health Policy reports to the Director, Health Policy.
Bachelor’s degree required, with 5-7 years of work experience in a healthcare environment. Executive Branch experience and/or law degree (J.D.) preferred. Knowledge of health policy issues and processes, including familiarity with various Medicare payment systems and payment reform, is required. Work experience should include interactions with provider organizations or practices, and third-party payer relations. Excellent written, oral presentation, attention to detail, and interpersonal skills essential. Computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, and databases mandatory. Candidate must be organized, diplomatic, innovative, flexible, member focused, and a team player. Some travel (4-5 trips per year) will be required.
- This position supports the Director of Health Policy in the development and execution of AAO-HNS/F and department goals and to ensure the Academy maintains a leadership role in physician payment and socioeconomics for otolaryngology-head and neck surgery services.
- Develop comment letters and materials that assist members in the participation of new payment models, regulatory compliance related to quality reporting, payer advocacy issues, and optimizing reimbursement for services.
- Contribute to the success of the AAO-HNS/F advocacy programs by initiating proposals and developing solutions to health policy challenges facing otolaryngologists.
- Manage Health Policy Analyst(s) and oversee specific health policy projects, to ensure timely and accurate completion of tasks.
- Work with the AMA, CMS/CMMI, private payers, and other medical specialty societies to achieve common goals and leverage resources.
- Participate in CPT activities and assist with preparation for physician leader presentations before the CPT Editorial Panel.
- Monitor developments and coordinate with Research and Quality staff on CMS Quality Reporting Initiatives in the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule and rules related to the MIPS program and alternative payment models; lead the development of formal comments on the regulations on these topics on behalf of the Academy; and oversee the updating of marketing materials and website resources as policy changes occur.
- Develop materials and tools to expand the knowledge base for members related to alternative payment models and quality reporting/tiering programs.
- Oversee marketing efforts for the health policy team, including management of the articles submitted for the OTONews and socioeconomic articles for The Bulletin.
- Lead conference calls related to CPT issues and track relevant deadlines; attend CPT Editorial Panel meetings and assist the physician leaders with submission of CPT applications.
- Manage process of review and update of Academy CPT for ENTs.
- Oversee the review and comment on edits proposed by CMS for the NCCI and MUE.
- Work with Education staff and the Academy’s coding workshop partner to review and provide input on coding course materials.
- Represent, via in-person meetings or conference calls, the specialty’s interests to outside organizations on physician payment policy, including but not limited to CMS, CMMI, ACS, and AMA, and providing feedback/action items as appropriate.
- Respond to member inquiries on payer and practice management issues, new payment models, private payer and CMS quality initiatives, and other related topics.
- Serve as liaison to assigned Academy Committees.
- Coordinate activities and projects with other departments (e.g., Research and Quality, Legislative Advocacy, Education, etc.) as applicable.
- Develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with other specialty societies, third party payers, and other professionals and organizations as appropriate.
- Consistently demonstrate courteous, cooperative and helpful behavior to all contacts, internal and external.
- Participate on an internal team, either through formal assignment, or on an ad hoc basis.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either orally or in writing.
Posted August 2017
If interested, we encourage you to submit your resume with cover letter and salary expectations through one of the following options:
Email: Attach a Word document or copy and paste your cover letter and resume and send to email@example.com.
Mail: AAO-HNSF 1650 Diagonal Road, VA 22314-2857 Attention: Human Resources