WIO Endowment Grants
The Women in Otolaryngology (WIO) Endowment was established in 2010 to provide a perpetual stream of funding, in the form of grants, for projects that support actionable research and/or projects that are designed to benefit the professional development of women in otolaryngology. A grant budget of approximately $10,000 - $15,000 is established for each fiscal year (July1 – June 30) and able to be awarded in dollar increments from a minimum of $1,000 and above. Grant recipients are selected by the Governing Council of the WIO, based on application merit. Grants for the fiscal year are awarded by June 30th and projects must be completed within 12 months thereafter.
If you are interested in donating to the Women in Otolaryngology (WIO) Endowment, please click here
Who Can Apply?
All otolaryngologists who are active members of the Academy.
Criteria for WIO Endowment Grants
Requests for a WIO Endowment Grant must be for projects that demonstrate a significant contribution to further explore and advance the success of women in otolaryngology and be aligned with the following
- Career development of women otolaryngologists—head and neck surgeons, whether private, academic, or military
- Actionable research that affects how women are integrated into mainstream otolaryngology
- Unique approaches to work/life integration -an issue facing all ORLs, of concern especially to our younger members
- Leadership development and recognition
- Inspiring and informative speakers and relevant to women’s needs and interests for AAO-HNS/F WIO Section meetings and functions - not for non-Academy/Foundation meeting support.
- WIO Endowment Grants cannot be used for non-Academy/Foundation meeting support.
NOTE: In this grant cycle, applicants whose projects focus on “career advancement” will be given the highest consideration.
Evaluation Criteria for WIO Grants
All applications will be reviewed by the WIO Endowment Committee. Those selected as meritorious, based on the criteria listed in grant application, will be recommended to the WIO Governing Council for final award decision. Generally, the WIO Governing Council preferentially funds projects with the potential to benefit a significant segment of our section. Individual travel grants or proposals that benefit only a limited number of women are generally not funded.
Applications for the FY18 WIO Endowment Grant will be accepted between November 9, 2017 through April 27, 2018. WIO Endowment grant recipients will be notified late May with funding awarded by June 30, 2018. Grant project period is July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019.
The 2018 WIO Endowment Grant Application
is now available. Deadline for completion extended until April 27, 2018
Please contact Marylou Forgione (Staff Liaison, WIO Endowment Committee) at email@example.com
or Sujana S. Chandrasekhar, MD (Chair, WIO Endowment Committee) at firstname.lastname@example.org