Physician Compare was first launched in 2010 and then in 2013 CMS released a redesigned Physician Compare. The primary source of administrative information on the website is from the Provider Enrollment, Chain, and Ownership System (PECOS), with the use of Medicare claims information to verify the information in PECOS.
Physician Compare is a Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) website that allows the public to find and select physicians who are currently enrolled in the Medicare program as well as other information on Eligible Professionals (EPs) who participate in CMS quality programs. As required by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), CMS is charged with making information available on physician performance, including information on quality measures and patient experience, available through the Physician Compare website. CMS uses feedback and information from the public through Town Hall meetings, Listening Sessions, emails, and the rulemaking process to determine the direction of Physician Compare as well as define the scope of the program.
General Physician Information Included on Physician Compare covers:
• American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) Board Certification Information
• Group Affiliations
• Hospital Affiliations (which link to the hospital’s profile on Hospital Compare as available)
• Medicare Assignment Status
• Primary and Secondary Specialties
• Provider Language Skills
• Utilization Data
• Physician Quality Reporting (PQRS), including the Group Practice Reporting Option (GPRO)
• Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program
On each individual profile page and each group practice profile page, CMS denotes whether or not that individual or group successfully participates in certain CMS Quality Initiative Programs.
If you would like to check your information for accuracy, click here.
• Controlling blood sugar levels in patients with diabetes.
• Controlling blood pressure in patients with diabetes.
• Prescribing aspirin to patients with diabetes and heart disease.
• Patients with diabetes who do not use tobacco.
• Prescribing medicine to improve the pumping action of the heart in patients who have both heart disease and certain other conditions
*Beginning in 2014, quality of care ratings for Group Practices will also be included on the website and ratings for individual physicians will be added in the future.
If members would like to provide feedback about the Physician Compare website, feedback can be sent to PhysicianCompare@westat.com
Incorrect information relating to address, education, contact information, and Medicare Assignment status needs to be edited through the Internet-based PECOS system here.
Incorrect information relating to training, residency, hospital affiliation and/or foreign language needs to be edited by email to Physician Compare at PhysicianCompare@westat.com. Please be sure to include your name, specialty, address of practice location, NPI number, and the best method of contact in addition to providing the corrected information.