Better Hearing & Speech Month
May is Better Hearing and Speech Month, a time to raise awareness about communication disorders and available treatment options that can improve the quality of life for those who experience problems speaking or hearing.
ENThealth.org is dedicated to offering information for your patients. The content is developed from a team of AAO-HNS members, and information is delivered via peer-reviewed articles, interactive features, and video content featuring physicians. Learn more about the site and our contributors at https://www.enthealth.org/about-us/.
Below is a sampling of Be ENT Smart Better Hearing and Speech information:
- Your Ear Gear and Hearing Health shares the facts about noise-induced hearing loss and tips for good hearing health.
- How Can I Lessen the Impact of Tinnitus? offers tips for reducing the effect of Tinnitus and answers some frequently asked questions.
- Speech and Language Development is gleaned from the AAO-HNSF Clinical Practice Guideline (update): Otitis Media with Effusion (OME) and offers patient-friendly information for caregivers when OME affects speech and language development.
For more patient information, search ENThealth.org content under Conditions and Treatments and Be ENT Smart articles by using keywords “hearing” and “speech.”
More Resources for Better Hearing and Speech Month
- Health Disparities in Geriatric Cochlear Implantation Authors: Janet S. Choi, MD, MPH, and Selena E. Briggs, MD, PhD, MBA
- Clinical Practice Guideline: Ménière’s Disease Adapted from the April 2020 Supplement to Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. You can read the guideline at otojournal.com.
- Clinical Practice Guideline: Sudden Hearing Loss (Update) Adapted from the August 2019 Supplement to Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. You can read the guideline at otojournal.com.
- Transition to In-office Treatments: Ménière’s Disease Authors: Varun V. Varadarajan, MD, and Oliver F. Adunka, MD, Chair of the AAO-HNS Hearing Committee
- Cochlear Implantation: Who Is a Candidate in 2018?
Visit the "Block Out the Noise" page for a downloadable Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL) poster and more resources on how people can protect their hearing from permanent damage due to noise.
You can aalso access more information at the National Insitute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD).
Patient Health Information