This award was endowed by Leslie Nicholas, MD, in honor of his nephew, Eugene N. Myers, MD, who is dedicated to the management of head/neck cancer and has interest in international medicine.
Surgeon Is a Major Prognostic Factor of Head and Neck Cancer Patients Undergoing Primary and Salvage Surgery
Luiz P. Kowalski, MD, PhD
Luiz P. Kowalski, MD, PhD, is chair of the Department of Head and Neck Surgery and Otorhinolaryngology at A.C. Camargo Cancer Center and professor and chair of the Head and Neck Surgery Department at the University of São Paulo Medical School. He is committed to surgical practice, research, and medical education, with special interest in head and neck surgical oncology, multidisciplinary management of cancer, clinical and translational research, and prognostic factors. He is also active in training graduate students, residents, fellows, and postgraduate students.
Dr. Kowalski is a prolific author and has published more than 680 peer-reviewed articles, written three theses and 141 book chapters, and edited 13 books. He has been an honored guest lecturer internationally and is a member of several professional organizations and is currently serving as vice-chair of the Head and Neck Cancer Group of the Latin American Cooperative Oncology Group.
Dr. Kowalski received a medical degree from the Medical School of the Federal University of Parana, Brazil, completed a three-year residency in surgical oncology at A.C. Camargo Cancer Center, São Paulo, and then a one-year fellowship in head and neck surgery at Hospital Heliopolis, São Paulo. He obtained an MS degree and PhD degree in otorhinolaryngology from Escola Paulista de Medicina, São Paulo. During postgraduate training he also completed a six-month observership in head and neck surgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York. Afterward, he joined the faculty of A.C. Camargo Cancer Center.
Previous Honorary Guest Lecturers:
- 2019: Hisham M. Mehanna, PhD, MBChB, FRCS, FRCS (ORL-HNS)
- 2018: Eun-Chang Choi, MD, PhD
- 2017: Javier Gavilan, MD
- 2016: Jonathan Irish, MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS
- 2015: Professor-emeritus Frans JM Hilgers, MD
- 2014: Professor Sheng Po Hao, MD, FACS, FICS
- 2013: Professor Piero Nicolai
- 2012: Professor Johannes J. Fagan, MBChB, FCS(SA)
- 2011: Professor Dr. med. Karl Hőrmann
- 2010: Professor Randall P. Morton, MBBS, MSc, FRACS
- 2009: Professor Anil Keith D’Cruz, MBBS
- 2008: Professor Dan Fliss, MD
- 2007: Professor MUDr. Jan Betka, DrSc
- 2006: Professor Patrick Gullane, CM, MB, FRCSC, FACS
- 2005: Professor Christopher O’Brien, AM, MS, MD, FRACS
- 2004: David J. Howard, FRCS
- 2003: Professor Dr. med. Wolfgang Steiner
- 2002: Professor Kwang Hyun Kim, MD
- 2001: Professor Sean L. Sellars
- 2000: Professor Patrick J. Bradley, D.Ch.
- 1999: Professor Dr. med. Ugo Fisch
- 1998: Juan Felipe Sanchez Marle, MD
- 1997: Shin-etsu Kamata, MD
- 1996: Professor Jean-Louis Lefebvre, MD
- 1995: Professor Dr. Gordon B. Snow
- 1994: Professor William I. Wei, MS, FRCSE, DLO
- 1993: Professor Arnold G. D. Maran
- 1992: John J. Conley, MD