This award, named for an esteemed leader in our specialty, is based on Dr. John Conley's passion for head and neck surgery and belief in the professionalism of the practice of medicine. He was dedicated to the highest standard of moral and ethical behavior from physicians.
Shifting Action and Innovation Mindsets to Embrace Social Determinants of Health – Ethical and Practical Considerations for All
Anand K. Devaiah, MD
Anand K. Devaiah, MD, is director of the Biomedical & Health Technology Development & Transfer Domain at the Institute for Health System Innovation & Policy (IHSIP). He is an associate professor in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, with joint appointments in Neurological Surgery and Ophthalmology at the Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center. His clinical interests center around skull base surgery, including endoscopic approaches to the cranial base.
At IHSIP, Dr. Devaiah leads the Institute’s activities integrating the tools for health improvement that are being rapidly developed by science and technology. In his role, Dr. Devaiah bridges the worlds of development and implementation, leading collaborations focused on improving value in the health system through technological innovations.
Dr. Devaiah’s experience in healthcare technology and innovation spans technology development, evaluation, implementation, research, administration, regulatory science, and intersections with social determinants of health. Working closely with individuals and companies, from startups to established enterprises, he has worked with teams to develop new technologies as well as implementation strategies for emerging health technologies.
Dr. Devaiah also served as a medical officer and fellow with the FDA in the Center for Devices and Radiologic Health, Ear, Nose, and Throat Branch. He has served on several medical society committees and is the immediate past president of the Society of University Otolaryngologists Head and Neck Surgeons.
Previous Honorary Guest Lecturers:
- 2019: Dana M. Thompson, MD, MS
- 2018: Ronald Kuppersmith, MD, MBA
- 2017: Michael M. Johns III, MD
- 2016: G. Richard Holt, MD, D-BE, MSE, MPH
- 2015: G. Scott Morris, MD, M.Div.
- 2014: Rosemary Gibson
- 2013: Nancy L. Snyderman, MD
- 2012: Itzhak Brook, MD
- 2011: Marlee Matlin
- 2010: Gerald S. Healy, MD
- 2009: Arthur L. Caplan, PhD
- 2008: Nancy M. Kane, DMA
- 2007: William G. Enright, PhD
- 2006: Thomas R. Russell, MD, FACS
- 2005: Harvey V. Fineberg, MD, PhD
- 2004: Her Majesty Queen Noor
- 2003: Arthur S. Levine, MD
- 2002: Rev. Professor Peter J. Gomes
- 2001: Daniel P. Sulmasy, OFM, MD, PhD
- 2000: Pastor James D. Miller, PhD
- 1999: C. Everett Koop, MD, ScD
- 1998: Rev. Dr. Robert Schuller
- 1997: Leo J. O’Donovan, SJ
- 1996: Lasalle D. Leffall, Jr., MD
- 1995: Thomas E. Starzl, MD, PhD
- 1994: Bruce N. Ames, PhD
- 1993: Benjamin Carson, Sr., MD
- 1992: John Fletcher
- 1991: Leland R. Kaiser, PhD
- 1990: Edmund D. Pelligrino, PhD
- 1989: Louis Sullivan, MD
- 1988: John McLaughlin, PhD
- 1987: Mark Medoff
- 1986: Morris B. Abram, JD