The primary source of administrative information on the website is from the Provider Enrollment, Chain, and Ownership System (PECOS), with the use of Medicare claims information to verify the information in PECOS.
- The Affordable Care Act requires that CMS publicly report information on physician performance, including information on quality measures and patient experience, on its website.
- Therefore, CMS established the Physician Compare Initiative and website to help patients locate and obtain data on Medicare participating-physicians.
- In December 2017, CMS began publicly reporting certain 2016 performance information on the Physician Compare website.
General Physician Information Included on Physician Compare covers:
• American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) Board Certification Information
• Group Affiliations
• Hospital Affiliations (which link to the hospital’s profile on Hospital Compare as available)
• Medicare Assignment Status
• Primary and Secondary Specialties
• Provider Language Skills
• Utilization Data
• Physician Quality Reporting (PQRS), including the Group Practice Reporting Option (GPRO)
• Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program
On each individual profile page and each group practice profile page, CMS denotes whether or not that individual or group successfully participates in certain CMS Quality Initiative Programs.
If you would like to check your information for accuracy, click here.
In December 2017, a small subset of 2016 Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) group-level measures are publicly reported on Physician Compare profile pages for groups as star ratings.
Specifically, the updated 2016 measures CMS released on Physician Compare public-facing profile pages include:
- Fifteen (15) 2016 PQRS measures for groups as star ratings
- 2016 Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) for PQRS for groups as top-box scores
- 2016 non-PQRS Qualified Clinical Data Registry (QCDR) measures as percent performance rates for clinicians and groups
- 2016 Accountable Care Organization (ACO) measures
If members would like to provide feedback about the Physician Compare website, feedback can be sent to PhysicianCompare@westat.com
Incorrect information relating to address, education, contact information, and Medicare Assignment status needs to be edited through the Internet-based PECOS system here.
Incorrect information relating to training, residency, hospital affiliation and/or foreign language needs to be edited by email to Physician Compare at PhysicianCompare@westat.com. Please be sure to include your name, specialty, address of practice location, NPI number, and the best method of contact in addition to providing the corrected information.