About the John Conley, MD Lecture on Medical Ethics
This award, named for an esteemed leader in our specialty, is based on Dr. John Conley’s passion for head and neck surgery and belief in the professionalism of the practice of medicine. He was dedicated to the highest standard of moral and ethical behavior from physicians.
Reflections on Our Profession in the Face of an Ongoing Pandemic
Presented during the Annual Meeting Opening Ceremony, Sunday, September 11, at 8:00 am (ET).
Andrew G. Shuman, MD, HEC-C, is an associate professor in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Michigan Medical School. He serves as a chief of the Clinical Ethics Service in the Center for Bioethics and Social Sciences in Medicine (CBSSM). Dr. Shuman is the associate chief of staff at the VA Ann Arbor Health System, where he directs the educational experience for a diverse cadre of pre- and post-doctoral trainees and learners. He is also the current Chair-elect of the Ethics Committee and will assume the role as Chair at the close of the Annual Meeting in September 2022.
Dr. Shuman is recognized as a thought leader in ethical issues arising within the field of otolaryngology and surgical oncology. His work is defining the conceptual dimensions of “surgical ethics,” an emerging focus in the broader field of bioethics, by applying his perspective as a practicing surgeon and clinical ethicist to normative and empirical bioethics research. He has recently focused on cancer treatment decision-making and precision oncology, scarce resource allocation, and institutional and national responses to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Dr. Shuman completed fellowships in head and neck surgical oncology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, and in medical ethics at Weill Medical College of Cornell University. He completed his residency and medical school at the University of Michigan.
- 2021: J. Nwando (Onyejekwe) Olayiwola, MD
- 2020: Anand K. Devaiah, MD
- 2019: Dana M. Thompson, MD, MS
- 2018: Ronald Kuppersmith, MD, MBA
- 2017: Michael M. Johns III, MD
- 2016: G. Richard Holt, MD, D-BE, MSE, MPH
- 2015: G. Scott Morris, MD, M.Div.
- 2014: Rosemary Gibson
- 2013: Nancy L. Snyderman, MD
- 2012: Itzhak Brook, MD
- 2011: Marlee Matlin
- 2010: Gerald S. Healy, MD
- 2009: Arthur L. Caplan, PhD
- 2008: Nancy M. Kane, DMA
- 2007: William G. Enright, PhD
- 2006: Thomas R. Russell, MD, FACS
- 2005: Harvey V. Fineberg, MD, PhD
- 2004: Her Majesty Queen Noor
- 2003: Arthur S. Levine, MD
- 2002: Rev. Professor Peter J. Gomes
- 2001: Daniel P. Sulmasy, OFM, MD, PhD
- 2000: Pastor James D. Miller, PhD
- 1999: C. Everett Koop, MD, ScD
- 1998: Rev. Dr. Robert Schuller
- 1997: Leo J. O’Donovan, SJ
- 1996: Lasalle D. Leffall, Jr., MD
- 1995: Thomas E. Starzl, MD, PhD
- 1994: Bruce N. Ames, PhD
- 1993: Benjamin Carson, Sr., MD
- 1992: John Fletcher
- 1991: Leland R. Kaiser, PhD
- 1990: Edmund D. Pelligrino, PhD
- 1989: Louis Sullivan, MD
- 1988: John McLaughlin, PhD
- 1987: Mark Medoff
- 1986: Morris B. Abram, JD