A Position Statement (formerly known as a “policy statement”) is used to designate a statement, policy, or declaration of the American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, and Foundation (AAO-HNS/F) on a particular topic or topics. Statements are created to formalize the AAO-HNS/F position on a clinical procedure or medical service with third party payers, for use in state and federal regulatory or advocacy efforts, or to clarify the AAO-HNS/F approval or disapproval of certain practices in medicine.
If you would like the Academy to consider drafting a Position Statement on a particular topic or are interested in revising an existing Position Statement, please submit details about the topic and your concerns at [email protected]. Academy staff will route your message to the appropriate Committee Chair(s) for consideration.
If you are interested in drafting a new Position Statement, please review the guidance document.
For additional details on the definition and purpose of Position Statements in comparison to other resources like Clinical Practice Guidelines, please see the AAO-HNS/F Guidance Documents.
After an extensive review process by Academy Committees and the Physician Payment Policy (3P) Workgroup, the Executive Committee recently approved the following position statements:
- Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Revised September 2021
- Cochlear Implant Candidacy for Children with Bilateral Sensorineural Hearing Loss New July 2021
- Reimbursement for Taking Hospital Call Revised June 2021
- Surgeon Performed Neck Ultrasound Reaffirmed June 2021
- Bone Conduction Hearing Devices Revised April 2021
- Debridement of the Sinus Cavity after ESS Revised April 2021
- Dilation of sinuses, any method (e.g., balloon, etc.) Revised April 2021
- Scope of Practice of Non-Physician Providers Revised April 2021
- Hearing Aids Revised February 2021
- Pediatric Otolaryngology Reaffirmed February 2021