As a practicing otolaryngologist, you are no doubt aware of the numerous challenges we face in the day-to-day practice of medicine. Increased liability premiums, decreasing reimbursements and burdensome regulations continue to threaten the viability of our practices and hinder our ability to provide our patients with the highest quality of care.
So how do we as physicians change the environment in which we practice and regain control of our specialty?
We Get Involved in the Political Process!
AAO-HNS provides numerous opportunities for it members to influence federal and state health policy, educate elected officials, and invest in the future of otolaryngology, which include ENT PAC and participating in the BOG Spring Meeting & OTO Advocacy Summit. Now Academy members have an additional vehicle for impacting the practice of medicine through legislation and regulations – ENT Advocacy Network!
What is the ENT Advocacy Network?
By joining the ENT Advocacy Network, you can take an active role in educating Members of Congress and state legislators on how proposed bills and regulations affect the practice of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery. Often, elected officials look towards health care associations for expertise when trying to develop or change federal health policy.
What role will I play as a member of the ENT Advocacy Network?
As a member, you will develop and foster relationships with your elected officials by:
- Writing letters regarding specific otolaryngology issues
- Calling congressional and/or legislative staff to encourage support or opposition of legislation
- Responding to AAO-HNS legislative alerts
- Hosting your Member of Congress or state legislator in your facility or practice
- Meeting one-on-one with your Member of Congress in Washington, DC, or your congressional district; and meeting one-on-one with your state legislators
What benefits will I receive as a member of the ENT Advocacy Network?
Most importantly, as a member you will gain a better relationship with your elected officials and become an active participant in the political process that affects the practice of medicine and otolaryngology. You will also receive:
- Monthly emails providing you up-to-the-minute legislative updates
- Access to briefing materials on the top legislative priorities of the AAO-HNS
- Assistance in organizing and hosting a Member of Congress or state legislator in your practice
- Draft letters to use in contacting your Members of Congress and state legislators