The AAO-HNS mentorship program connects medical student members to otolaryngologists across the country who are eager to share their guidance, advice, and personal experiences about the path to residency and practice as well as their day-to-day experiences of the specialty. Through one-on-one interactions, students will have an opportunity to learn directly from experienced physicians in a welcoming, confidential environment.
The mentorship program is available exclusively to AAO-HNS medical student members. To participate, the medical student must be a member of the Academy, have renewed their 2022 membership or recently joined, and be currently enrolled in an accredited medical school.
- Be supportive, positive, interested, and involved
- Provide timely feedback on the student’s ideas and questions through phone calls and email as appropriate
- Act as a role model
- Maintain confidences
- Discuss expectations and ask questions. (e.g. how to enhance ability to obtain a residency position? Clerkships, especially timing? Research opportunities?)
- Be receptive to feedback
- Be respectful of the mentor’s time
- Demonstrate high standards of professionalism
Students and mentors are matched on a first-come, first-served basis. Mentors may not be located in the area where the student is attending medical school. Contact info will be shared between mentor and student; it’s their mutual responsibility to connect and maintain communication.
Requests for changes by student or mentor will be considered on an individual basis.
Participation in the program is completely voluntary, and as such participation is not administered or overseen by AAO-HNS nor does AAO-HNS endorse or warrant any results or benefits of the program.
Please contact [email protected] with any questions or for further information.