Having good a mentor is important to every phase of a physician’s career, but perhaps never more critical than in the earliest years out of training. Recognizing the key role that expert mentorship plays in a young physician’s success, the YPS has created the Model Mentor Award.
Any YPS member may nominate one of their mentors for this award by submitting a narrative vignette that illustrates an effective and nurturing mentorship by this physician.
- The nominees must be AAO-HNS members in good standing
- The nomination packet requires full contact information for both the nominee and the nominating YPS member, as well as a nominating paragraph of up to 325 words
- The YPS Governing Council will select the Model Mentor Award winners to be recognized during the YPS General Assembly at the AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting & OTO Experience and will consider the winning vignettes for submission to Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery
2022 YPS Model Mentor Award
This year’s YPS Model Mentor awardee is Philomena M. Behar, MD, who has been an exemplary mentor for the residents in the Department of Otolaryngology at the State University of New York at Buffalo, commonly referred to as the University at Buffalo (UB). She excels at mentoring residents and students on how to design and implement clinical research projects. Her mentees have won the annual UB Otolaryngology Resident Research Award in 2015, 2016, 2018, and 2019, and her commitment to the education and development of future otolaryngologists is commendable.
Recipients of the YPS Model Mentor Award include:
- John H. Krouse, MD, PhD, MBA (2021)
- Lawrence M. Simon, MD (2020)
- Samantha Anne, MD
- Stacey L. Ishman, MD, MPH
- Giancarlo F. Zuliani, MD
- James D. Sidman, MD
- J. Regan Thomas, MD
- Bill Lydiatt, MD
- Ellis M. Arjmand, MD, PhD
We thank you for your contribution to the future of the specialty.