Having good a mentor is important to every phase of a physician’s career, but perhaps never more critical than in the earliest years out of training. Recognizing the key role that expert mentorship plays in a young physician’s success, the YPS has created the Model Mentor Award.
Any YPS member may nominate one of their mentors for this award by submitting a narrative vignette that illustrates an effective and nurturing mentorship by this physician.
- The nominees must be AAO-HNS members in good standing
- The nomination packet requires full contact information for both the nominee and the nominating YPS member, as well as a nominating paragraph of up to 325 words
- The YPS Governing Council will select the Model Mentor Award winners to be recognized during the YPS General Assembly at the AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting & OTO Experience and will consider the winning vignettes for submission to Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery
2021 YPS Model Mentor Award
This year’s awardee is John H. Krouse, MD, PhD, MBA. He is the dean of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine and is the Editor in Chief of Otolaryngology‒Head and Neck Surgery and OTO Open.
Dr. Krouse exemplifies the traits of a model mentor: someone who teaches and guides their mentees while also advocating for their specific needs. He is also instrumental in helping mentees to build professional networks. He supports his students, residents, and faculty in making connections with leaders in otolaryngology and promotes their research, clinical success, and other professional aspirations. He takes the time to get to know each of his mentees on a personal level.
Dr. Krouse’s nomination notes that he not only provided words of wisdom when his mentees needed them, but he also went out of his way to create opportunities for their careers. His mentorship model transcends barriers, including hierarchy and gender bias, to truly build rewarding relationships with those he works—a model that is especially important for people from diverse backgrounds.
Dr. Krouse has dedicated his leadership time to sponsorship of and advocating for the needs of diverse mentees. His mentorship focuses on developing ambitious but feasible visions and mapping out long-term career goals. He has done all this while still working to champion clinical care among medically underserved populations, thereby serving as a role model for his mentees as well.
Recipients of the YPS Model Mentor Award include:
- Lawrence M. Simon, MD (2020)
- Samantha Anne, MD
- Stacey L. Ishman, MD, MPH
- Giancarlo F. Zuliani, MD
- James D. Sidman, MD
- J. Regan Thomas, MD
- Bill Lydiatt, MD
- Ellis M. Arjmand, MD, PhD
We thank you for your contribution to the future of the specialty.