The AAO-HNS/F Humanitarian Efforts Committee’s mission is to foster and encourage participation of members in global humanitarian efforts in order to improve the prevention and treatment of otolaryngologic disorders within the United States and abroad by:
- Publicizing opportunities for involvement including the maintenance of a databank of available resources and opportunities
- Facilitating mechanisms by which otolaryngology trainees develop interest and experience in humanitarian activities including the distribution of trainee travel grants
- Developing organizational relationships with medical and surgical groups (e.g., AMA, ACS, ACP) and otolaryngology subspecialty groups (e.g., AHNS, AAFPRS, ANS, ACPCA), to encourage and enhance the breadth of humanitarian activities available to AAO-HNS members and trainees
- Nurturing collaboration with other local and international missions and organizations including IFOS and WHO
- Evaluating the unique ethical issues and disparity concerns in research and clinical practice in low-resource settings; and, assisting with “best practice” guidelines for management of otolaryngologic disease in low-resource settings and to assist local healthcare providers with implementation.
Committee applications are available for submission toward the end of each calendar year. However, even if you are not currently a member of the committee, you can still attend the Humanitarian Efforts forum and committee meetings as a guest and contribute with ideas or special projects. We encourage you to contact [email protected] with any recommendations for supplies and assistance.