High Priority: No; N/A
NQF Number: N/A
Percentage of patients with BPPV who had a Dix-Hallpike maneuver performed AND who had therapeutic canalith repositioning procedure (CRP) performed or who were referred for physical therapy or to a provider who can perform CRP if identified with posterior canal BPPV
- Patients diagnosed with BPPV
- Patients diagnosed with posterior canal BPPV
For Denominator 1: None
For Denominator 2 Only:
- Patients diagnosed with anterior or lateral BPPV
- Patients with unspecified canal BPPV
- Patient has a history of BPPV, but is not currently experiencing positional dizziness/vertigo consistent with active BPPV.
- Patient has refused or declined Dix-Hallpike maneuver. (To be captured via search terms, this exclusion should be written as “patient refuses (or declines) Dix-Hallpike.”
- Patient has refused or declined CRP. (To be captured via search terms, this exclusion should be written as “patient refuses (or declines) or CRP.”
- Patient has cervical spinal disease (i.e., cervical stenosis, severe kyphoscoliosis, limited cervical range of motion, Down’s syndrome, severe rheumatoid arthritis, cervical radiculopathies, Paget’s disease, ankylosing spondylitis, low back dysfunction, spinal cord injuries, spinal fractures)
- Patient unable to lay flat (i.e., severe heart disease)
- Patient has severe atherosclerotic disease or recent dissection involving the anterior or posterior cerebral circulation.
- Unable to be seated in exam chair (i.e., morbidly obese), or maneuver cannot be safely performed given morbid obesity
- Patients who had a Dix-Hallpike maneuver performed
- Patients who had therapeutic CRP performed or were referred to a provider who can perform CRP, or were prescribed or referred for physical therapy.
- Measure Type: Process
- National Quality Strategy (NQS) domain: Effective Clinical Care
- Meaningful Measure Area: Appropriate Use of Healthcare
- Care Setting(s): Ambulatory Care: Clinician Office/Clinic
- Includes Telehealth: Yes
- Calculation: 1st Performance Rate
- Inverse measure: No
- Continuous measure: No
- Proportional measure: Yes
- Ratio measure: No
- Risk Adjusted measure: No
© 2021 American Academy of Neurology and American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Foundation. All Rights Reserved.
Limited proprietary coding is contained in the Measure specifications for convenience. Users of the proprietary code sets should obtain all necessary licenses from the owners of these code sets.
The Measures, while copyrighted, can be reproduced and distributed, without modification, for noncommercial purposes, e.g. use by health care providers in connection with their practices. Commercial use is defined as the sale, license, or distribution of the Measures for commercial gain, or incorporation of the Measures into a product or service that is sold, licensed or distributed for commercial gain. Commercial uses of the Measures require a license agreement between the user, the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) and the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Foundation (AAO-HNSF).
The Measures are not clinical guidelines, do not establish a standard of medical care, and have not been tested for all potential applications. THE MEASURES AND SPECIFICATIONS ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. Neither the AAO-HNSF nor its members shall be responsible for any use of the Measures. The AAO-HNSF and its members disclaim all liability for use or accuracy of any Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) or other coding contained in the specifications.