About the Eugene N. Myers, MD International Lecture on Head and Neck Cancer
This award was endowed by Leslie Nicholas, MD, in honor of his nephew, Eugene N. Myers, MD, who is dedicated to the management of head/neck cancer and has interest in international medicine.
Presented during the Annual Meeting on Monday, September 12, 10:30 – 11:30 am (ET).
Unraveling Locally Recurrent Head and Neck Cancer: From Clinical Problem to Molecular Explanation
C. René Leemans, MD, PhD, FRCSEd (Hon), is professor of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at the VU University, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and chair of the department of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at Amsterdam University Medical Centers. Dr. Leemans is also the director of the Advanced Fellowship Program in Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology.
Dr. Leemans’ research interests include the various aspects of head and neck cancer, reconstructive and microvascular surgery, and basic translational research. He is the lead investigator in a number of clinical trials, including those sponsored by the European Union, Dutch Cancer Society, and industry. He has made a sustained and internationally recognized contribution to cancer care and research in the field of head and neck oncology over the past decades, has authored multiple research papers and textbook chapters, lectures internationally, and serves on the editorial boards of scientific journals.
Dr. Leemans was co-director of the Cancer Center Amsterdam until 2020. He has served as president of the Dutch and European Head and Neck Society. He leads the successful Make Sense Awareness Campaign on head and neck cancers in Europe.
Dr. Leemans graduated from the Erasmus University Rotterdam and completed his specialist qualifications in Amsterdam. He then completed a fellowship in head and neck/microvascular surgery in Amsterdam and Glasgow, United Kingdom.
- 2021: Ben Panizza, MBBS
- 2020: Luiz P. Kowalski, MD, PhD
- 2019: Hisham M. Mehanna, PhD, MBChB, FRCS, FRCS (ORL-HNS)
- 2018: Eun-Chang Choi, MD, PhD
- 2017: Javier Gavilan, MD
- 2016: Jonathan Irish, MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS
- 2015: Professor-emeritus Frans JM Hilgers, MD
- 2014: Professor Sheng Po Hao, MD, FACS, FICS
- 2013: Professor Piero Nicolai
- 2012: Professor Johannes J. Fagan, MBChB, FCS(SA)
- 2011: Professor Dr. med. Karl Hőrmann
- 2010: Professor Randall P. Morton, MBBS, MSc, FRACS
- 2009: Professor Anil Keith D’Cruz, MBBS
- 2008: Professor Dan Fliss, MD
- 2007: Professor MUDr. Jan Betka, DrSc
- 2006: Professor Patrick Gullane, CM, MB, FRCSC, FACS
- 2005: Professor Christopher O’Brien, AM, MS, MD, FRACS
- 2004: David J. Howard, FRCS
- 2003: Professor Dr. med. Wolfgang Steiner
- 2002: Professor Kwang Hyun Kim, MD
- 2001: Professor Sean L. Sellars
- 2000: Professor Patrick J. Bradley, D.Ch.
- 1999: Professor Dr. med. Ugo Fisch
- 1998: Juan Felipe Sanchez Marle, MD
- 1997: Shin-etsu Kamata, MD
- 1996: Professor Jean-Louis Lefebvre, MD
- 1995: Professor Dr. Gordon B. Snow
- 1994: Professor William I. Wei, MS, FRCSE, DLO
- 1993: Professor Arnold G. D. Maran
- 1992: John J. Conley, MD