About the Eugene N. Myers, MD International Lecture on Head and Neck Cancer
This award was endowed by Leslie Nicholas, MD, in honor of his nephew, Eugene N. Myers, MD, who is dedicated to the management of head/neck cancer and has interest in international medicine.
The Clinical-Research Continuum: From Perineural Spread to Moving Surface Receptors in Improving Patient Outcomes
Ben Panizza, MBBS, is the director of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, Australia, and the chair of ENT Services for Metro South Health. He also is the director of the Queensland Head and Neck Cancer Centre, a research collaborative. As well, Dr. Panizza is a full professor of surgery in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Queensland.
Dr. Panizza’s research interests include head and neck cancers and skull base surgery. He is the lead investigator in a number of clinical trials, including a National Health and Medical Research Council grant-funded study on opportunities for treatment of incurable cancers. He has authored multiple research papers and textbook chapters, lectures internationally, and serves on the editorial boards of scientific journals.
Dr. Panizza established the Queensland Skull Base Unit at Princess Alexandria Hospital in 2006 and served as its co-director until 2017. He is the president of the Australian and New Zealand Skull Base Society.
Dr. Panizza graduated from the University of Queensland and completed his specialist qualifications in Queensland. He then completed a fellowship in head and neck/skull base surgery in London and another fellowship in otology/neurotology/skull base surgery in Italy.
- 2020: Luiz P. Kowalski, MD, PhD
- 2019: Hisham M. Mehanna, PhD, MBChB, FRCS, FRCS (ORL-HNS)
- 2018: Eun-Chang Choi, MD, PhD
- 2017: Javier Gavilan, MD
- 2016: Jonathan Irish, MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS
- 2015: Professor-emeritus Frans JM Hilgers, MD
- 2014: Professor Sheng Po Hao, MD, FACS, FICS
- 2013: Professor Piero Nicolai
- 2012: Professor Johannes J. Fagan, MBChB, FCS(SA)
- 2011: Professor Dr. med. Karl Hőrmann
- 2010: Professor Randall P. Morton, MBBS, MSc, FRACS
- 2009: Professor Anil Keith D’Cruz, MBBS
- 2008: Professor Dan Fliss, MD
- 2007: Professor MUDr. Jan Betka, DrSc
- 2006: Professor Patrick Gullane, CM, MB, FRCSC, FACS
- 2005: Professor Christopher O’Brien, AM, MS, MD, FRACS
- 2004: David J. Howard, FRCS
- 2003: Professor Dr. med. Wolfgang Steiner
- 2002: Professor Kwang Hyun Kim, MD
- 2001: Professor Sean L. Sellars
- 2000: Professor Patrick J. Bradley, D.Ch.
- 1999: Professor Dr. med. Ugo Fisch
- 1998: Juan Felipe Sanchez Marle, MD
- 1997: Shin-etsu Kamata, MD
- 1996: Professor Jean-Louis Lefebvre, MD
- 1995: Professor Dr. Gordon B. Snow
- 1994: Professor William I. Wei, MS, FRCSE, DLO
- 1993: Professor Arnold G. D. Maran
- 1992: John J. Conley, MD