The Jerome C. Goldstein, MD Public Service Award recognizes members for commitment and achievement in service, either to the public or to other organizations within the United States, when such service promises to improve patient welfare.
Funded anonymously by an Academy member, any member of the Academy is eligible to receive, and nominate other members, for this award. The awardee is honored during the Annual Meeting & OTO Experience with a commemorative certificate and $1,000 honorarium.
This year’s awardee is Joseph E. Kerschner, MD, who currently serves as the Dean of the Medical School and Executive Vice President and Provost, Professor of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences and Microbiology and Immunology at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW). His colleagues describe him as a quadruple threat; a sought-after clinician, a beloved teacher of students and residents, a National Institute of Health funded otitis media researcher, and a leader both inside and outside of our specialty. His work has improved patient welfare, shaping the future of medical education, crafting national medical education policies, enriching his local institution and community, and conducting groundbreaking transitional otitis media research.
Dr. Kerschner’s commitment to advocating for underrepresented minority staff, faculty, and students and his community is unparalleled. He has served on various boards and committees within MCW and
the greater Milwaukee community including the Association of American Medical Colleges, the American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Foundation and Research Boards, and Camp Kesem (a nationwide college student-led organization that raises funds to
send children of adults with cancer to summer camps and programs).
Dr. Kerschner received his MD from MCW and completed a general surgery internship and otolaryngology residency at the University of South Florida and a pediatric otolaryngology fellowship at the MCW and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.
- 2019: No Award Presented
- 2018: Jerome C. Goldstein
- 2017: Debara L. Tucci, MD, MS, MBA
- 2016: C. Ron Cannon, MD
- 2015: Charles E. Moore, MD
- 2014: Keith F. DeSonier, MD
- 2013: Steven F. Isenberg, MD
- 2012: David L. Witsell, MD, MHS
- 2011: Kathleen L. Yaremchuk, MD
- 2010: Nancy L. Snyderman, MD
- 2009: George Paul Doxey, MD
- 2008: Anna M. Pou, MD
- 2007: William B. Lewis, MD
- 2006: Louisiana State University-Department of Otolaryngology and Tulane University Department of Otolaryngology
- 2005: Stephen Epstein, MD
- 2004: Karl L. Horn, MD
- 2003: Hosakere K. Chandra Sekhar, MD
- 2002: William M. Satterwhite, Jr., MD
- 2001: Terry A. Day, MD
- 2000: John Niparko, MD
- 1999: Byron Bailey, MD
- 1998: Howard W. Smith, MD
- 1997: Roland Eavey, MD and Craig Senders, MD
- 1996: Donald P. Vrabec, MD
- 1995: G. Richard Holt, MD
- 1994: Jerome C. Goldstein, MD