On September 17, the AAO-HNS submitted a comment letter to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) on the CY 2022 Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System (HOPPS)/Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) proposed rule. The Academy’s comments addressed the following issues most significantly impacting the specialty:
- Changes to the inpatient only (IPO) list;
- Updates to the ASC covered procedures list;
- Balloon sinus dilation ASC payments;
- APC assignment of HCPCS code 42XXX, a new CPT code to describe DISE;
- Comprehensive ambulatory payment classifications (APCs);
- Pass-through payment for HCPCS Code J7402 (Sinuva); and
- Exceptions to the “2 times” rule.
The Academy anticipates the final rule to be released in November. AAO-HNS Advocacy staff will provide an analysis of CMS’ response to our comments and final policies for calendar year 2022 shortly after the rule’s release.