The Women in Otolaryngology (WIO) Endowment was established in 2010 to provide a perpetual stream of funding, in the form of grants, for projects that support actionable research and/or projects that are designed to benefit the professional development of women in otolaryngology. A grant budget of approximately $10,000 – $15,000 is established for each fiscal year (July1 – June 30) and able to be awarded in dollar increments from a minimum of $1,000 and above. Grant recipients are selected by the Governing Council of the WIO, based on application merit. Grants for the fiscal year are awarded by June 30th and projects must be completed within 12 months thereafter.
Who Can Apply?
All otolaryngologists who are active members of the Academy.
Criteria for WIO Endowment Grants
Requests for a WIO Endowment Grant must be for projects that demonstrate a significant contribution to further explore and advance the success of women in otolaryngology and be aligned with the following goals:
- Career development of women otolaryngologists—head and neck surgeons, whether private, academic, or military
- Actionable research that affects how women are integrated into mainstream otolaryngology
- Unique approaches to work/life integration -an issue facing all ORLs, of concern especially to our younger members
- Leadership development and recognition
- Inspiring and informative speakers and relevant to women’s needs and interests for AAO-HNS/F WIO Section meetings and functions
Evaluation Criteria for WIO Grants
All applications will be reviewed by the WIO Endowment Committee. Those selected as meritorious, based on the criteria listed in grant application, will be recommended to the WIO Governing Council for final award decision. Generally, the WIO Governing Council preferentially funds projects with the potential to benefit a significant segment of our section. Individual travel grants or proposals that benefit only a limited number of women are generally not funded.
Applications for the FY21 WIO Endowment Grant were accepted between January 2020 through April 25, 2021. WIO Endowment grant recipients will be notified of award by June 30, 2021. The grant project period is July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022.
Donate to the WIO Endowment
Your donation to the WIO2.0 Endowment Fund will help sustain and grow a vital source of funding needed to support WIO projects including:
- Research grants that addresses how women are integrated into mainstream otolaryngology such as parity and equity and work/life integration
- Programs that provide professional skills training focusing on negotiation, leadership and managerial skills
- Online learning tools such as podcasts and webinars that enhance both personal and professional career development
- Engagement of noted speakers relevant to women’s needs and interests to participate at AAO-HNSF WIO Section meetings and functions
- Expand funded projects such as the Local WIO Chapters and other networking opportunities nationally
- Continue to lay the foundation for the next generation of women in otolaryngology