- Published Guideline
- Executive Summary
- Commentary: Reconciling the clinical practice guidelines on Bell's palsy from the AAO-HNSF and AAN
- Guideline 15-minute Recording
- Slide set available: Contact Sarah O'Connor email@example.com for more information
- Education Opportunities
- AAO-HNSF Continuing Medical Education (CME) visit www.academyu.org (Academy login required)
- AAO-HNSF Clinical Practice Guideline Lecture: Bell's Palsy
- AcademyQ CME: Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- ABOto Maintenance of Certification (MOC) visit www.aboto.org (ABOto login required)
- Self-Assessment Modules (SAMs) (ABOto MOC participation required)
- Patient with Acute Facial Paralysis
- Research Gaps
- Order patient leaflets (member login required)
- View/Order Guideline Pocket Card and Mobile App
Clinical Practice Guideline: Bell's palsy
The guideline was published as a supplement in the November 2013 issue of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery.
The primary purpose of this guideline is to improve the accuracy of diagnosis for Bell's palsy, to improve the quality of care and outcomes for patients with Bell's palsy, and to decrease harmful variations in the evaluation and management of Bell's palsy. This guideline addresses these needs by encouraging accurate and efficient diagnosis and treatment and, when applicable, facilitating patient follow-up to address the management of long-term sequelae or evaluation of new or worsening symptoms not indicative of Bell's palsy. The guideline is intended for all clinicians in any setting who are likely to diagnose and manage patients with Bell's palsy. The target population is inclusive of both adults and children presenting with Bell's palsy.
Leadership: Reginald Baugh, MD (Chair), Gregory Basura, MD, PhD (Assistant Chair), Lisa Ishii, MD, MHS (Assistant Chair), Seth R. Schwartz, MD, MPH (Methodologist)
Guideline Development Group: Rebecca Burkholder, JD, Nathan A. Deckard, MD, Cindy Dawson, MSN, RN, Colin Driscoll, MD, M. Boyd Gillespie, MD, MSc, Richard K. Gurgel, MD, John Halperin, MD, Ayesha N. Khalid, MD, Kaparaboyna Ashok Kumar, MD, FRCS, Alan Micco, MD, Debra Munsell, DHSc, PA-C, Steven Rosenbaum, MD, and William Vaughan.