Clinical Practice Guidelines
Published Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Adult Sinusitis (Updated)
- Allergic Rhinitis
- Acute Otitis Externa(Updated)
- Bell's Palsy
- Tympanostomy Tubes in Children
- Improving Voice Outcomes After Thyroid Surgery
- Sudden Hearing Loss
- Polysomnography for Sleep - Disordered Breathing Prior to Tonsillectomy in Children
- Tonsillectomy in Children
- Hoarseness (Dysphonia)
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Cerumen Impaction
In Development/Development Queue
Currently in Development:
- Update to Clinical Practice Guideline: Otitis Media with Effusion
- Update to Clinical Practice Guideline: Cerumen Impaction
- Update to Clinical Practice Guideline: Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Clinical Consensus Statement: Septoplasty with or without Turbinoplasty
- Update to Clinical Practice Guideline: Hoarseness (Dysphonia)
- Clinical Practice Guideline: Rhinoplasty
- Clinical Practice Guideline: Evaluation of the Neck Mass in Adults
- Clinical Practice Guideline: The Surgical Management of Rhinosinusitis (Single Specialty)
The mission of the GTF is to provide oversight to:
- clinical guideline and consensus statement development process;
- clinical practice guideline and consensus statement dissemination; and
- clinical practice guideline implementation.
The GTF also provides a forum for education on topics related to guidelines, development standards (i.e. IOM) and dissemination techniques.
A primary function of the GTF is to rank, prioritize, and vet topics submitted for development into either clinical practice guidelines or clinical consensus statements.
Guideline Resources (.pdf files)
- 2014 GTF Spring Newsletter
- 2013 GTF 2013 Issue 1
- 2012 Summer GDTF Newsletter
- 2011 Fall GDTF Newsletter
- 2010 Summer GDTF Newsletter
- 2010 Winter GDTF Newsletter
- 2009 Summer GDTF Newsletter
- 2009 Winter GDTF Newsletter
Guideline Topic Submission
The GTF is currently accepting submission of topics for future guideline development. Please complete the topic submission form and submit your completed proposal to QualityImprovement@entnet.org
The American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery Foundation (AAO-HNSF) is proud to have joined with 16 other specialty groups—each of which released a list of "Five Things Physicians and Patients Should Question" on February 21, 2013. Learn more.
AHRQ National Guideline Clearinghouse: A public resource for evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. NGC is an initiative of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).
Guidelines International Network: The Guidelines International Network (G-I-N) is an international not-for-profit association of organizations and individuals involved in clinical practice guidelines. G-I-N seeks to improve the quality of health care by promoting systematic development of clinical practice guidelines and their application into practice, through supporting international collaboration. G-I-N's Guideline Library contains regularly-updated information about guidelines of the G-I-N membership.
The Cochrane Collaboration: An international network of more than 28,000 dedicated people from over 100 countries. We work together to help healthcare providers, policy-makers, patients, their advocates and carers, make well-informed decisions about health care, by preparing, updating, and promoting the accessibility of Cochrane Reviews - over 5,000 so far, published online in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, part of The Cochrane Library. We also prepare the largest collection of records of randomised controlled trials in the world, called CENTRAL, published as part of The Cochrane Library.
These research gaps identified are not a comprehensive list of all research areas that AAO-HNSF is currently supporting or plans to support in the future. The AAO-HNSF is committed to supporting new, innovative hypothesis-driven, meritorious research which can lead to improving the overall health and quality of life for people treated by Otolaryngologists. Click the subspecialty to view research gaps.
- Tools for Assessing Outcomes in Studies of Chronic Cough: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report (Publication Coming Soon!)
- Practice Advisory for the Prevention and Management of Operating Room Fires - May 2008
- Otitis Media with Effusion - May 2004
- AAO-HNSF Endorsement of Quality Knowledge Products Developed by External Organizations
- AAO-HNSF Policy to Request Quality Knowledge Product Panel Members and/or Peer Reviews (coming soon)