The American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS) is the world's largest organization representing specialists who treat the ear, nose, throat, and related structures of the head and neck. The Academy represents approximately 12,000 otolaryngologist—head and neck surgeons who diagnose and treat disorders of those areas. The medical disorders treated by our physicians are among the most common that afflict all Americans, young and old. They include chronic ear infection, sinusitis, snoring and sleep apnea, hearing loss, allergies and hay fever, swallowing disorders, nosebleeds, hoarseness, dizziness, and head and neck cancer.
The AAO-HNS Foundation works to advance the art, science, and ethical practice of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery through education, research, and lifelong learning.
We take pride in our excellent benefits package offered to eligible employees, which includes medical, dental, and vision coverage. We also provide short and long term disability insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 403(b) retirement plan, credit union membership, five weeks of PTO, and nine holidays, compressed work schedules and flexible scheduling. We offer a business casual dress environment and many additional employment benefits. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage you to submit your resume with cover letter and salary expectations through one of the following options:
Email: Attach a Word document or copy and paste your cover letter and resume and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail: AAO-HNSF 1650 Diagonal Road, VA 22314-2857 Attention: Human Resources
We currently have the following openings:
Senior Director, Meetings & Education
Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree desired, in adult and continuing education, professional development, or related field. Professional certification in related field preferred (i.e. CMP, CEM, CHCP). Demonstrated leadership experience. Minimum of 10 years of progressive responsibility for strategic and operational planning/implementation, budget development and management, and staff supervision including recruitment and retention. Non-profit experience and CAE preferred. Seven to ten years’ experience working in a physician (medical) membership organization with responsibility for volunteers, committees, and subject matter experts for the development of adult learning activities, online education programs and meetings and exhibitions.
Significant experience with accredited continuing medical education (CME), the accreditation process administered by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the requirements for and education support of Maintenance of Certification, Maintenance of Licensure, and performance and quality improvement.
Significant experience in leading city-wide convention management, exhibition management, convention industry standards and practices, site-selection, contracting, vendor management and development and management of policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
Experience with corporate relations and strategic account management and the identification, packaging, sales and fulfillment of high-level sponsorships. Demonstrated experience in developing and managing product strategy with a proven track record in net revenue generation and customer satisfaction. Demonstrated experience with business process mapping, process redesign and project management across organizational lines. Experience with the selection and management of contractors and vendors in support of business operations.
Excellent oral/written communication and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to support and encourage innovation and lead change management. Some travel will be required.
• Provide oversight of the AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting and Education Programs.
• Supervise business unit staff and their activities.
• Accountable for the day-to-day operations of the business unit.
• Accept responsibility for and champions organization’s mission, vision, and values, and strategic direction
• Develop and manage budget(s), financial tracking, projections, and adapting plans to produce results.
• Ensure the organization’s strategic goals and business objectives are translated into unit’s work plans.
• Provide appropriate guidance to ensure Foundation education and meetings work plans are accomplished and that the Business Unit meets the needs of the membership and other consitituencies.
• Ensure adherence to ACCME essentials and guidelines for accredited organizations and best practices in education and meetings management.
• Ensure adherence to best practices in meeting management.
• Participate on the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and vet issues affecting the operations of the Academy/Foundation. Serve as business unit leader and/or team leader for assigned organizational operations and projects.
• Serve as senior advisor to Board and executive leadership on Meetings and Education activities.
• Provide leadership and direction to associated staff; including hiring, training, performance management and professional development on Meetings and Education activities.
• Ensure effective communication and support to assigned AAO-HNS/F Coordinators.
• Develop and coordinate Annual Meeting strategies regarding locations, attendance, pricing, and content.
• Develop and coordinate implementation strategies for new education and knowledge products and activities; review and make recommendations regarding status of products and activities; provide insight into marketing plans; ensure appropriate product-related statistical information is maintained.
• Coordinate and link all Annual Meeting activities across all internal business unit and external committees.
• Coordinate and link all education activities across all formats (live, enduring materials, mobile, and online), content areas and learner groups.
• Provide guidance to a creative team of volunteers to continually develop and improve Meeting and Education activities.
• Ensure adherence to all Foundation policies and procedures, with primary responsibility for policies related to continueing medical education, conventions, expositions and corporate support for CME.
• Represent the Academy and Foundation to organizations and/or at meetings, as requested.
• Ensure effectiveness of AAO-HNSF education and meeting committees and serve as staff liaison as assigned.
Program Manager, Education
• Successful completion of a Bachelors degree
• Previous experience in association environment required
• Advanced level of computer skills with specific mastery of Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel
• Project management experience, especially with web-based learning
• Understanding of association management systems
• Strong oral and written communication skills
Scope and depth of skills/knowledge:
• Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and manage competing deadlines
• Knowledge of adult learning principles and continuing medical education helpful
• Current working knowledge of a variety of eLearning technologies and platforms
• Ability to proofread and serve as copy editor for education publications a plus
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrated ability to think analytically and creatively
• Excellent customer service, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
• Some travel may be required
• Provide daily project management for assigned education products
• Serve as primary liaison with vendors as related to assigned education products
• Serve as a resource and point-of-contact for Academy members and staff to monitor progress on all phases of development with respect to assigned education products
• Provide ongoing education participant evaluation and needs assessment data collection, summary, and analysis for assigned education products
• Maintain a reporting relationship with the Senior Manager, Education regarding progress with each assignment
• Apply sound instructional design and adult learning principles to all activities
• Manage authors and reviewers through the activity development process
• Oversee the continuing medical education (CME) compliance process for all assigned products
• Manage product marketing and promotion
• Maintain historical participation records and track registration trends for all assigned products
• Manage multiple projects and working groups simultaneously for all assigned products
• Work closely with Information and Knowledge Management, Financial Operations, and Member Services staff on project integration and data management
• Demonstrate courteous, cooperative, and helpful behavior to all internal and external contacts
• May participate on an internal team, either through formal assignment, or on an ad hoc basis