The Academy is continuously monitoring the public health situation related to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) to provide information and resources for you, your practice, and your patients.
COVID-19 information for patients can be found on ENThealth.org.
Updated May 29, 2020
Guidance for Return to Practice for Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
The AAO-HNS, with the collaboration of the otolaryngology specialty societies, has developed recommendations for a safe return to practice that are being presented in two parts. These will be “living documents” that will be updated on a regular basis as new information becomes available. Resources include downloadable PDFs, podcasts, and video versions of each podcast. To access all of the materials available, click HERE.
- Part One, released on May 7, contains comprehensive general considerations that are applicable to all practice settings and specialty areas of otolaryngologists’ practice.
- Part Two, released on May 15, contains specific recommendations encompassing prioritization and special circumstances related to surgical procedures for all specialty areas.
[May 27] The FDA issued an Emergency Use Authorization for the Stryker Sustainability Solutions (SSS) VHP N95 Respirator Decontamination System (RDS)
- This product uses vapor hydrogen peroxide (VHP) to decontaminate compatible N95 respirators that are, or potentially are, contaminated with SARS-CoV-2 or other pathogenic microorganisms for multiple-user reuse by healthcare personnel to prevent exposure to pathogenic biological airborne particulates when there are insufficient supplies of face-filtering respirators (FFRs) resulting from the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. Read More.
[May 27] OTO Journal Newly Accepted COVID-19 Articles
- Several new articles were accepted for publication in Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. To expeditiously distribute this research, the authors have agreed to share their accepted manuscript HERE.
[May 26] AAO-HNS COVID-19 Podcast Series Episode 17: Resident Education
- Access this and all AAO-HNS COVID-19 Podcast Series Episodes 1-17
[May 26] OTO JOURNAL: New COVID-19 Articles Now Published Online
- Several new articles that were previously shared prepublication as accepted papers of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery are now published Online First.
[May 22] CMS Expands Telehealth Services for Medicare Advantage Beneficiaries
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services released a final rule that encourages Medicare Advantage (MA) plans to increase their telehealth benefits and plan options for beneficiaries in rural areas. Under the rule, MA plans will have more flexibility to count telehealth providers in certain specialty areas, including otolaryngology, toward meeting CMS network adequacy standards. The telehealth provisions in the rule are effective beginning January 1, 2021. An agency fact sheet describing the rule is available on the CMS website.
[May 21] HHS Updates CARES Act Provider Relief Fund FAQs
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) issued updated guidance for Medicare providers receiving payments from the CARES Act Provider Relief Fund. The updated frequently asked questions (FAQs) document addresses common questions on attestation and rejecting payments (beginning on page two) with the notation “added 5/20/2020.” The FAQs also provide guidance on revenue reporting through the portal, entering taxpayer identification numbers into the General Distribution Portal, estimating lost revenue, and the definition of a rural facility.