The Academy is continuously monitoring the public health situation related to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) to provide information and resources for you, your practice, and your patients.
COVID-19 information for patients can be found on ENThealth.org.
Updated June 4, 2020
Guidance for Return to Practice for Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
The AAO-HNS, with the collaboration of the otolaryngology specialty societies, has developed recommendations for a safe return to practice that are being presented in two parts. These will be “living documents” that will be updated on a regular basis as new information becomes available. Resources include downloadable PDFs, podcasts, and video versions of each podcast. To access all of the materials available, click HERE.
- Part One, released on May 7, contains comprehensive general considerations that are applicable to all practice settings and specialty areas of otolaryngologists’ practice.
- Part Two, released on May 15, contains specific recommendations encompassing prioritization and special circumstances related to surgical procedures for all specialty areas.
[June 3] Congress Passes Legislation to Update Small Business Paycheck Protection Program
On June 3, the U.S. Senate passed H.R. 7010, the “Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act of 2020,” by unanimous consent, following passage by the U.S. House of Representatives last week. This legislation makes important changes to the PPP to grant small businesses additional time and flexibility for the use of funds under the program. H.R. 7010 will now be sent to the President’s desk to be signed into law. Learn More.
Deadline is Today [June 3] to Accept or Reject Funds from on Cares Act Provider Relief Fund
This Payment Portal will guide providers through the attestation process to accept or reject the funds. If providers are not ready to attest to a payment, but want to be considered for a complete General Distribution payment, providers may reject the payment, initiate the return of the payment, and submit the requested revenue documents necessary to facilitate HHS calculation of one's total final payment through the General Distribution Portal by June 3. Rejection of an initial payment will not preclude a provider from receiving their total general distribution amount that is approximately 2% of revenues. Learn More.
[June 3] Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Emergency Department Visits — United States, January 1, 2019–May 30, 2020 - Read More from the CDC.
[June 2] OTO Journal Accepts New COVID-19-Related Articles and Publishes COVID-19 OnlineFirst - Read Here.
Newly accepted titles include the following:
- [PS/QI] The Patient Worn Enhanced Protection Face Shield for Flexible Endoscopy Authors: Jack B. Anon, MD; Darcy Rees, BA; Carter Denne Denne, DO
- [Commentary] High-efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filters in the Era of COVID-19: Function and Efficacy Authors: David Christopherson; William C Yao, MD; Mingming Lu, PhD; R. Vijayakumar, PhD; Ahmad R. Sedaghat, MD, PhD
- [Commentary] A Second Pandemic? Perspective on Information Overload in the COVID-19 Era Authors: Taher Valika, MD; Sarah E Maurrasse, MD; Lara Reichert, MD
[June 2] Early Results Show Benefit of Remdesivir for COVID-19 - Read Here from NIH.
[May 29] CMS Releases Updated COVID-19 Medicare Fee-for-Service Billing FAQ Document
CMS shared new and updated answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to supplement previously released guidance on Medicare billing during the COVID-19 pandemic. The new FAQs address telehealth telephone-only service codes, guidance on how to bill if video is disconnected during a telehealth visit, and beneficiary consent requirements for telehealth services. The policies included in this FAQ are effective for the duration of the public health emergency.