For Immediate Release: Contact [email protected]
Los Angeles, California—The latest research on ear health, head and neck cancer, sleep-disordered breathing, rhinology and allergy, facial plastics, laryngology and swallowing disorders, endocrine surgery, and other topics related to otolaryngology-head and neck surgery will be presented in Los Angeles, California, October 3-6 during the 2021 Annual Meeting & OTO Experience of the American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery Foundation.
From among the hundreds of research presentations at the 2021 Annual Meeting, the Program Advisory Committee, comprised of physician members, selected 12 Scientific Oral Presentations as the “Best of Orals,” as well as an additional 14 late-breaking abstract submissions that were added to the program to offer the latest and most ground-breaking research and science in the field.
The “Best of Orals” include:
- Association of Mast Cells in Pediatric Larynx with Aerodigestive Disease: Emily L. Mace (Presenter); Shilin Zhao, PhD; Christopher T. Wootten, MD; Ryan H. Belcher, MD, MPH
- Bilateral vs Unilateral Hypoglossal Nerve Stimulation in OSA Patients: Clemens Heiser, MD, PhD (Presenter); Daniel Jira, MD; Ulrich Sommer, MD; Madeleine Ravesloot, MD, PhD; Nico de Vries, MD, PhD; Olivier Vanderveken, MD
- COVID-19 Tracheostomy Outcomes: Nicole L. Molin, MD (Presenter); Keith Myers; Ahmed Soliman, MD; Cecelia E. Schmalbach, MD, MSc
- Cellular Reactions in Allergic Provocation-Testing Visualized by Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy: Nina K. Wenda, MD (Presenter); Christop Striedter; Ralf Kiesslich; Jan Gosepath
- Do Patients Regret Having In-Office Vocal Fold Injections? Alice Liu, MD (Presenter); Yunqi Ji, PhD; Amanda Hu, MD, FRCSC
- Endoscopic Management of Orbital Medial Wall Fractures: Giacomo Colletti, MD (Presenter); Sara Negrello; Sabina Figurelli; Alexandre Anesi; Luigi Chiarini
- Gender and Outcomes in Patients with Thyroid Cancer Undergoing Thyroidectomy: Joseph Celidonio (Presenter); Ariel Omiunu; Christina H. Fang, MD; Soly Baredes, MD; Jean Anderson Eloy, MD
- Malpractice Claims among Otolaryngologists and the Association of Scholarly Activity: Kasra N. Ziai, MD (Presenter); Shivam D. Patel; Megan Crenshaw; Robert A. Saadi, MD; Jessyka G. Lighthall, MD
- Open Partial Horizontal Laryngectomies for T3–T4 Laryngeal Cancer: Oncological Outcomes: Pedro Henrique Esteves Gonçalves (Presenter); Izabella Costa Santo; Mariana Machado Salles; Emilson de Queiroz Freitas; Fernando Luiz Dias; Andressa Silva de Freitas
- Pregnancy and Fertility Trends among Female Otolaryngologists: Debbie A. Aizenberg, MD (Presenter); Makenzie Huguetc; Angela M. Beliveau, MPH, CCRP; Sandra Taylor, PhD
- RAD51 Inhibitor and Radiation Toxicity in Vestibular Schwannoma Cells: Torin P. Thielhelm (Presenter); Scott Welford, PhD; Eric A. Mellon, MD, PhD; Fred Telischi, MD; Michael E. Ivan, MD; Christine T. Dinh, MD
- Retrospective Analysis of Post-Tracheostomy Complications: Molly M. Murray (Presenter); Joseph Zenga, MD
The Late-Breaking Scientific Oral Presentations include:
- A Protocol for Propofol-Infusion Drug-Induced Sleep Endoscopy: Taylor G. Lackey, MD (Presenting Author); Katherine K. Green, MD, MS; James R. Duffy, BS
- A Second Independent Phase 1b Demonstrates Hearing Improvement with FX-322: John Ansley, MD (Presenting Author); Carl LeBel, MD; Susan King, MD; Sam Wilson, MD; Christopher Loose, MD; Will J. McLean, MD
- Characterization of the Metabolic Phenotype in Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma Tumors: Christine Settoon, MD (Presenting Author); Larissa Sweeny, MD; Kelsey Lacourrege, MD; Jaclyn Williams, MD
- COVID-19 Pandemic Effect on Otolaryngology Resident Surgical Case Numbers: James Duffy, MD (Presenting Author); Cristina Cabrera-Muffly, MD; Scott Mann, MD
- Early Hearing Preservation Outcomes with New Slim Lateral Wall Electrode Using Electrocochleography: Amit Walia, MD (Presenting Author); Jacques A. Herzog, MD; Matthew A. Shew, MD; Cameron C. Wick, MD; Nedim Durakovic, MD; Craig A. Buchman, MD
- Effect of p16 Status on Survival Outcomes in Sinonasal Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Aarti Agarwal, MD (Presenting Author); Gurston Nyquist, MD; Ramez Philips, MD; Chandala Chitguppi, MD; Marc R. Rosen, MD; Mindy R. Rabinowitz, MD
- Gene Therapy for Hair Cell Regeneration: Review of The First in Man Inner Ear Gene Therapy Trial: Hinrich Staecker, MD, PhD (Presenting Author); Douglas E. Brough, MD; Lawrence Lustig, MD; Charles Della Santina, MD; Kevin Sykes, MD; Lloyd Klickstein, MD
- Graduating Otolaryngology Residents’ Specialty Area Practice Preferences: Robert H. Miller, MD, MBA (Presenting Author); Richard K. Gurgel, MD; Hilary McCrary, MD, MPH
- Higher mir-31-5p Expression Associated with Reduced 1-year Keloid Recurrence Following Resection: Oghenefejiro Okifo, MD (Presenting Author); Lamont Jones, MD
- Identification of Proteins for Epithelialization & Vascularization In Decellularized Tracheal Grafts: Riddhima Agarwal, MS (Presenting Author); Tendy Chiang, MD; Lumei Liu, PhD; Sayali Dharmadhikari, MS
- Olfactory Testing to Improve COVID-19 Screening in School Children: Kaitlyn Tholen, MD (Presenting Author); Sarah Gitomer, MD; Jill Kaar, MD; Brian Herrmann, MD; Daniel Beswick, MD; Maxene Meier, MD
- Spirometry and Dyspnea Index: A Novel Way to Follow Up Patients with Subglottic Stenosis: Eleftherios Ntouniadakis, MD (Presenting Author); Mathias von Beckerath, MD; Josefin Sundh, MD
- The Efficacy and Safety of Eustachian Tube Balloon Dilation in Children: A Meta-analysis: Mohamed A. Aboueisha (Presenting Author); John Carter, MD; Edward D. McCoul, MD, MPH
- The Impact of Biologics on Sinonasal Outcomes in Patients Treated for AERD: Glen D’Souza, MD (Presenting Author); Elina Toskala, MD; Mindy R. Rabinowitz, MD; Gurston Nyquist, MD; Marc Rosen, MD; Jessica Most, MD
Abstracts of the Best of Orals, Late-Breaking Scientific Oral Presentations, and all research to be presented are now available online at https://journals.sagepub.com/toc/otoj/165/1_suppl.
Information for the Media
The AAO-HNSF offers press registration and interview facilitation for credentialed members of the news media, and onsite workspace for those reporting from the meeting in Los Angeles. Abstracts are available in advance of the meeting, but in-depth content and quotes collected from author interviews are embargoed until the date and time of presentation at the 2021 Annual Meeting & OTO Experience. Interested news media may request author interviews for any education session on the Annual Meeting program schedule by contacting [email protected].
About the AAO-HNS/F
AAO-HNS, with approximately 13,000 members, is one of the world’s largest organizations representing specialists who treat the ears, nose, throat, and related structures of the head and neck. Otolaryngologist–head and neck surgeons diagnose and treat medical disorders that are among the most common affecting patients of all ages in the United States and around the world. The AAO-HNS Foundation works to advance the art, science, and ethical practice of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery through education, research, and lifelong learning. Visit the Academy’s website at www.entnet.org for more information.